The Greek passion for traveling, for both knowledge and adventure began long ago, with Odysseus, the paradigm of the eternal traveller, with Herodotus the first tourist and most famous story teller and with Pausanias, who wrote the first travel guide, 2000 years ago.
Tourism is an idea created by the Greeks.
Ιn the land that gave birth to modern medicine, the homeland of the man that wrote the Hippocratic Oath, medical services meet modern expertise and Greek hospitality.
In ancient times, travelers from all across Europe used to visit Greece to sample the various healing treatments and tonics offered by the Greeks. In some sense, Greece can be regarded as the very first medical tourism destination.
Αttracting about 17,5 million tourists every year, Greece is a unique medical tourism destination for many reasons:
* Ιt combines medical excellence, unparallel medical infrastrusture, clinics and hospitals, using the latest technology and equipment and very good, experienced doctors. Here you can benefit from world-class treatments and procedures, performed by highly qualified medical professionals, using the latest equipment. Hospitals in Greece are fully complying with international health standards and staffed with internationally accredited physicians, providing expert treatment particularly in the fields of orthopedics, cardiac care, dentistry, and fertility.
Are you still wondering why Greeks experience some of the highest life expectancies in the world?
* Healthcare costs are about 50-60% lower when compared with the same treatments in United Kingdom or Canada or the United States. Even by factoring in the flight and hotel, the final price is a lot cheaper.
* In Greece you can find medical expertise in various fields, including:
- Plastic surgery
- Dental care
- Ophthalmological procedures
- Laparoscopic & Robotic surgery
- Spa tourism
* Public healthcare abroad may result in long delays and waiting lists. In addition, private insurance does not always cover each condition and treatment. Aesthetic surgeries, dental treatments, reproduction, eye surgeries, non-urgent heart and orthopedic surgeries are excluded from insurance plans, thus the patient must either wait for public healthcare or pay out of pocket. Greece offers any kind of treatment whenever anyone needs it, safely and timely.
* Once your particular medical treatment or procedure is completed, it is important to seek an environment that is conducive to relaxation, rest and recovery. The human body needs sun and a positive environment, in order to recover from any kind of treatment. Greece is a Mediterranean Paradise with more than 350 sunny days annually. The sea, the sun and the sand will transform your recovery into a relaxing and memorable experience.
As poet Konstantinos Kavafes said, “As you set out for Ithaka hope the voyage is a long one, full of adventure, full of discovery.”
* ‘Island Hopping’ is a popular and recommended tourist activity in Greece. Greece has a total of 227 inhabited islands to choose from. The beautiful and exotic Greek islands with the sugar cube villages and the beaches of breathless beauty, lure droves of tourists every year, making them one of the world's top travel destinations.
The ideal climate, safe waters and small distances between ports and coasts, have made the Greek islands extremely popular among Greek and foreign visitors.
As Henry Miller, the American writer, said, "It takes a lifetime for someone to discover Greece, but it only takes an instant to fall in love with her".
* Beyond the sun and the sand, individuals can also embark on treks and hikes across mountainous terrain to explore the mainland.
* The country’s rare biodiversity and the Mediterranean gastronomy are also an allure.
* Greece has also of over 700 therapeutic hotsprings which can offer unique, therapeutic experiences.
* Let alone city tourism. Discovering the soul of a Greek city is much more than a quick tour around its monuments and sightseeing. Greek cities are full of possibilities, easily accessible and visitor friendly around the year, offering a great sum of modern facilities and choices.
* Greeks are friendly and very welcoming. They are always ready to help tourists with directions, information, or any other kind of assistance. Hospitality is Greece’s oldest art form. The stranger for Greeks is sacred, welcomed, accepted, cherised, remember.
As Homer puts it, “The gods visit us, disguised as strangers”.
Music, dance, food and friendship, are never far away.
* Art and ideas and philosophy and songs and love, simplicity, warmth and authenticity- the traveller to Greece discovers these qualities at every turn!
* Greece is easily accessible, from around the world by plane, ship or train.
Greece is “a piece of heaven, on earth”.